12.08.2007

Ludo/Challenges/Hot Chocolate.

The other night, I saw Labyrinth for the first time ever. If I didn't know it before, I sure do now; Jim Henson was a saint.
I mean, look at this guy!

He's great!
Amazing! I can't believe I had never seen this film.

Anyway. Back on track. I slept in today, no work. Decided to head downtown to the One Of A Kind show. On my way, I stopped into work, picked up a drink and took a short trip with Dann to the craft show at the old folks home. I decided to treat myself to a new necklace at Hazel, too. It's very gaudy and big, but I love it. It suits me, I think. I left for the show and got off at Merchandise Mart, a building I've never been into. The show was on the eighth floor, and I was actually surprised that the space wasn't bigger. I saw maybe three or four photographer's booths and they featured mostly landscape or floral images. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I left feeling very unimpressed. I suppose art photography gets more stale every time I see it. Maybe photographing people all these years caused me to categorize myself as a photojournalist. There was a particular husband/wife photography team, and I spent a lot of time in their booth. They specialized in travel photography, especially from Europe. The images were beautiful, colorful, vast, and unreal, which was what may have put me off . Yes, I want to shoot Europe very desperately and yes I'm probably envious of this family. But it got to a point where I was tired of seeing the same images of a bicycle resting in front of a pub in England, or colorful flower pots hanging from a charming cottage in Switzerland. The photos ARE beautiful and the work is quality but it all ends up so repetitive and plastic-looking. I think about being a photographer and I just can't see myself being as passionate about art photography as I am about photojournalism (although a lot of people may put each in the same category). Funny thing was, as I was leaving the booth, I noticed a large photo on a wall opposite the booth. It was an image of a vivid red barn surrounded by snow. It was my favorite photo from the entire collection and no one else seemed to notice it; everyone kept walking by. I (sneakily) snapped a picture with my camera phone. It doesn't do it justice. It almost looks like a painting. I asked the artist, John, about it and he laughed, "I took that in Iowa, actually...About twenty years ago." He told me they only just decided to print it. I told him it was wonderful, the best yet. He probably thought I was strange. The photo gave me some perspective, though: I've been complaining about not having been to Europe yet, when there are plenty of places around me to photograph. Once I get the access to my own vehicle, I'll definitely try to take road trips through the Midwest so I can capture images like that barn, and more. Why complain about things you can't see when there are tons of things worth seeing just miles away!? Aaannnd this is what I've been doing: trying to take my camera out with me, shoot more than once a week and practice, practice, practice.

While I was wandering around the Merchandise Mart, I received a phone call from Amber and Elena, two girls I worked with when I lived in Michigan. They told me they were in Chicago until Monday, so I told them we'd meet in 20 minutes cause' I was downtown anyway. We connected and chatted briefly in an Urban Outfitters. I told them I'd call them when I was back in Michigan and we said goodbye. I staid downtown for another hour or so, wandering, going back to places I know. There's a particular place next to the river and it poses a challenge for me every time. It reminds me of a kind of Montmartre (pictured at left), and I can't seem to capture it perfectly*. I walk up and down the steps, around near the lampposts, and from above. I can't seem to find the perfect angle. I've been at night, in the morning and in the afternoon. This little area is almost always empty. If there were a few people sitting or walking, it may make for an interesting photo. Right now it's just boring (below, right).

I need a pair of gloves with a tracking device. I lost my first pair of the season already. I'm almost positive I'm cursed, as I've been doing this since I was in kindergarten. If something comes in a pair, chances are I'll lose one half of that pair in 20 minutes. I've been pretty good at getting myself out to shoot and once I get on a roll, I'm all set, but I end up freezing and giving up because I have no gloves!

I took this. I don't know if I even like this image, but it made me curious, so I posted anyway.

I tell you what, Color photo class has certainly helped me understand how to edit the colors in my photos properly.

I got home and immediately made a delicious hot chocolate in my favorite Starbucks mug.


There you have it. The most interesting picture I take tonight is of my chocolate drink. With marshmallows.

*please do not think I'm trying to compare myself to Brassai, cause' I would never...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home